National Support Groups and Newsletters
- MCS Friends (248) 301-2283 “We specialize in connecting our members to each other for social support and helpful information.” National and International in membership. Weekly conference calls and small quarterly newsletter.
- Chemical Injury Information Network (406) 547-2255. “The Chemical Injury Information Network (CIIN) is a support and advocacy organization dealing with Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS). It is run by the chemically injured for the benefit of the chemically injured, and focuses primarily on education, credible research into MCS, and the empowerment of the chemically injured.” CIIN publishes a monthly newsletter, Our Toxic Times.
- Immune Web. Their interactive Yahoo groups provide information, questions and answers. Click on “mailing lists” on their homepage.
- Human Ecology Action League, Inc. (HEAL) Old article can be found in their archives.
- Invisible Disabilities Association Their MCS focused web site is cleanerindoorair.org.
- Map of MCS People around the World. View the map, take the survey, or add yourself to the map.
- Local support groups are listed at the bottom of this page.
- Chemical Sensitivity Foundation (207) 725-8570. “The primary goal of the Chemical Sensitivity Foundation is to raise public awareness about chemical sensitivities.” The foundation provides videos, a bibliography of chemical sensitivities research, a guide to HUD housing, and other helpful information including this Chemical Sensitivities Brochure by Dr. Anne McCampbell.
- National Center for Environmental Health Strategies, Inc. Housing advocacy.
- Independent Living Research Utilization (713) 520-0232. “ILRU, founded in 1977, has a long history of providing research, education and consultation in the areas of independent living, home and community-based services, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.” See especially the document Understanding & Accommodating People with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity in Independent Living.
- National Council on Independent Living Advocacy and information. Examples of signage declaring fragrance-free areas and a tool kit for MCS accommodations can be found under their environmental health barriers section.
- Job Accommodation Network Information and advocacy for accommodations and ADA compliance in the work place, including MCS accommodation.
- How To Get On. Dozens of resource topics including government benefit programs and how to survive being housebound and disabled.
- The EI Wellspring. Practical Tips for Coping with Chemical and Electrical Hypersensitivity
- Dr. Anne Steinemann’s Website Resources and Research about MCS and Chemicals in Fragranced Products
- MCS America “Education, Awareness, Resources, Support” Emphasis on recognition and activism.
- Safe Shelters Website Guide to safer building materials. Tiny house and trailer construction.
- My Chemical-Free House Non-Toxic tiny house and trailer designs, building materials information and pictures.
- Re|shelter Articles about housing, coping with MCS. Out of date housing ads.
- Recommended Architectural Features for Multi-Family Housing by Susan Malloy
- Favorable HUD Rulings on MCS up until 1995
- MCS Referral & Resources. Professional outreach, patient support, and public advocacy devoted to the diagnosis, treatment, accommodation, and prevention of multiple chemical sensitivity and multi-sensory sensitivity. Documentation of the recognition of MCS.
Safer Housing Ads
- MCS Safe Shelter USA (Yahoo Group) is a forum for housing wanted and housing available ads, including short term housing and trailers.
- Our Toxic Times, a monthly newsletter published by CIIN, has housing ads. (406) 547-2255
- The Multi-Unit Environmental Housing Page at EI Wellspring.
- The Environmental Health Bulletin is an email newsletter with housing ads. To join, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- See also MCS Friends’ Housing Listings, our Housing Initiatives Archive and the pamphlet Tips for Finding Safer Housing.
HUD Housing Information for Disabled People
- Guide to the HUD Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program for Persons Disabled with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity from the Chemical Sensitivity Foundation.
- National Center for Environmental Health Strategies, Inc. Housing advocacy and information.
- Housing Choice Vouchers Fact Sheet. A brief introduction to HUD’s Section 8 low-income housing program.
- USDA Rural Development Loans and Grants for Housing
Pesticide Information and Alternatives
- Non-toxic and pesticide-free pest control information. Stephen Tvedten.
- National Pesticide Information Center. (800) 858-7378. The NPIC is a free service provided by Oregon State University in cooperation with the EPA. It’s open from 8:00am to 12:00pm Pacific time Mon. — Fri. “NPIC provides objective, science-based information about pesticides and pesticide-related topics to enable people to make informed decisions.”
- California Pesticide Illness Query. A searchable database of pesticide exposure incidents in California including symptoms, type of exposure (drift, residue, etc.), and pesticide.
- PAN Pesticides Database. Pesticide Action Network database.
- IPM – Housing and Urban Development Search Results. Information about Integrative Pest Management in Public Housing. See especially this document , which mentions MCS.
- Beyond Pesticides. Organic food purity advocacy, pesticide alternatives, activism.
Local Area Support Groups
Eastern Time Zone
- MACI — Massachusetts Association for the Chemically Injured, Boston Mass
- CSDA — Chemical Sensitivity Disorder Association, Washington D.C. Metro Area
- Atlanta Georgia HEAL Chapter
Central Time Zone
- Chronic Fatigue Fibromyalgia Support Group, Chicago IL
- Luncheon Group, Schaumberg IL. Share, Support, Socialize. Request contact info from MCS Friends (248) 301-2283 Leave message.
Mountain Time Zone
- HEAL of Southern Arizona
PO Box 36404
Tucson AZ 85740-6404
Phone contacts: Madeline: 520-297-7992 Ariel: 520-797-4585
- Rocky Mountain Environmental Health Association Colorado
Pacific Time Zone
- Environmental Health Network of California
- Washington State MCS Network This website has contacts throughout WA, some of which are out dated. It also contains state specific accommodation information.
- MCS Northwest (WA, OR, ID) Facebook Group
Canadian Support Groups
- Environmental Health Association of Quebec Click here for their French (Francais) Language website.
- Environmental Health Association of Ontario
Other Lists of Local Groups
New: Map of MCS People around the World. View map, view or take survey, or add yourself to the map.
Medical Discussion and Support Groups
If you have suggestions for sites related to chemical sensitivities please contact us.